Tuesday 19 April 2016

OUIL406 Visual Communication - Stamp Ideas

I wanted to explore the idea of using really simple shapes/silhouettes to communicate characters. I specifically looked for characters that Hensons had performed to make it link back to him in more ways than one, then tried to simplify the characters down into shapes and silhouettes of hands and puppets. 

Kermit and Rowlf
I wasn't really keen on the idea of using the hands inside the shapes of the puppets, it was really hard to show how the puppets were controlled and it wasn't easy to figure out how the other puppets Henson performed were controlled either. I decided to drop this and just look at simple shapes. 

Mahna Mahna and The Swedish Chef
I had a bit of trouble working on these two characters, they didn't seem as effective as the initial ideas I'd had for Kermit and Rowlf, they feel more like portraits or drawings of the characters and this is something I want to try and avoid. I also don't think these two characters are that notable? I feel like people won't recognise them, so I might move away from jus the characters that Henson performed and look at some other, more recognisable ones.

My aim of this brief is to be able to communicate simply and effectively all the wonderful work that Henson produced in his life time. I really tried to research into Henson as a person but everything keeps coming back to his work and I think this is a main thing that people will recognise and remember him for. I didn't want to just be drawing characters but at the same time I don't see much of a way around it, Jim Henson lives on through his characters and I'm going to try and make sure I communicate this as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment