Wednesday 20 April 2016

OUIL406 Visual Communication - Initial Postcard Ideas

I'm pretty sure I want to keep the texture of the stamps throughout all different formats of my outcome. From that I decided that maybe I could use the texture was a background or to surround another image or text. I was kind of thinking that i could use some quotes for this as it would help link up to the kind of person Henson was without just focusing on characters and movies.

I found a few online that I thought might work well:

Lifes like a movie, write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending. 

The most sophisticated people I know, inside they are all children.

My hope still is to leave the world bit better than when I got here.

Life is meant to be fun, and joyous, and fulfilling.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your guilt. Forgive your shame, your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth and most especially your heart.

Please watch out for each other and love and forgive everybody. It's a good life, enjoy it. 

I believe that we form our own lives, that we create our own reality and that everything works out for the best. 

If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn't anything you can't do if you want to. 

I tried to narrow down the quotes to some that were really short and simple, I think you can tell a lot about a person my how they talk and what they say, from looking at these, Jim seems like a genuinely nice, caring person, who wanted to make the world a more joyous, happier place. 
I really like the bottom quote about caring about what you do and working hard at it, it was a little bit of a pick me up while I was struggling with this project and some other bits and pieces of work. 


I did kind of like these. I think that they communicate the joy and happiness that Henson represents pretty well. They also fit to the same style as the stamps with the textured pencil marks and the colours I used line up with different muppet characters. 
I think I liked the idea behind this a lot more than the actual outcomes. Obviously these were just roughs so I could have tweaked them a fair bit to develop them more but I just wasn't really feeling it. I felt like they were too basic and that people would look at them and think they were boring. 

I'm thinking I should do a little bit of artist research and see if I can come up with something better for these postcards. I'm starting to regret my choice in person a little bit. I love Henson, I love what he stands for, I love his work, the films everything. But its SO hard to break away from the characters and to actually find information about his life. He was so involved in his work that that's pretty much all that he did, which is great but I'm really struggling to communicate this effectively, I'm worried that if I stick to the characters I'm just going to be seen as making crappy copies of things that already exist. 

Kind of wish I'd chosen Joan of Arc instead, that gal seemed cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment