Monday 27 March 2017

Initial Sketches

I've started sketching a few initial ideas in my sketchbook. I'm really interested in how to work with the image of Baba Yaga's hut but also how I can convey the ambiguity of this mysterious character. Baba Yaga is described as being both of force of good and evil, sometimes helping those that come to her and sometimes harming those that appear at her door. I've been trying to make her look more like a wise old woman, whilst still incorporating some of her legendary traits such as her long nose and her skeletal appearance. She is both someone to be feared and respected so I feel like that needs to be conveyed within my work.

I've also been trying to work on the appearance of her hut, this is proving tricky and I can't quite figure out how to get the chicken legs to look right and how to position them as if they are attached to the hut. Another thing I've been playing around with is the idea of the three spectral hands that appear from thin air to do her bidding. I feel that there's opportunity to experiment with composition with this imagery but I'm not entirely sure what to do yet.










No comments:

Post a Comment