Sunday 1 November 2015

OUIL403 Visual Skills - Day In The Life Experimentation

I really wanted to try out a few different materials for this brief to see what kind of effect you can achieve from using different mediums. I decided I would look at watercolours, watercolour pencils and comic markers as these were mediums that I had worked with before but would like to have more practice/experience in using. 
Watercolours

Watercolours
 I really struggled using the watercolours with a brush because I felt like i had very little control over them. I don't really enjoying painting or using mediums that are sometimes tricky to control. I also wasn't enjoying the kind of outcome I was producing using watercolours. I liked the softness of the colours but the overall finished thing was too messy. 


Watercolour Pencils
Watercolour Pencils
 I enjoyed working with the watercolour pencils more because they gave a similar effect to the actual paints but I was able to control the medium a lot more now. The thing I was finding difficult was mixing colours and shades. I wanted to try using variations of the colour pink to add more depth to my work but the colours didn't seem to fit together that well and as I added more layers and tones to different parts of the image, it just because messier and messier. 
Copic Markers

Copic Markers
Copic Markers

Copic Markers (chosen colour scheme and style)
 I have used Copics for other projects and enjoy using them a lot because of the vibrancy of the colours and also the control you have over the pen. I was enjoying creating my images with this material so decided to experiment with different combinations of colour, keeping in mind that we were limited to two colours, not including stock. 
I ended up choosing a style and colour that I was comfortable and confident working in. I chose to use a soft pink for the main colour to link with femininity and fertility. The other colour was just black for outlining and then the off white colour of the stock. 
Overall I'm quite happy with how my experimentation process went because it gave me a chance to try and create work with different mediums that I wasn't quite confident with, and although I decided to go with something that I have worked with before and that i feel confident in, I think the experimentation process did help develop my understanding of how some mediums work and what works for me, aswell as helping me decide what kind of aesthetic I was going for with this brief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment