Monday 16 November 2015

OUIL403 - Do Judge A Book By Its Cover Development

 After choosing the design I wanted to go with for the book cover I decided to experiment with layout and colour to see what would work best. To do this I decided to work at half the size that the actual book cover would be. 

This is my first developed rough, I really like how I've used the lines to add depth and texture to the black background. I feel that this works a lot better than just a flat black background. I also think that it makes the main illustration stand out a lot more. I added blue watercolour to the characters cheeks. I wanted to try to incorporate the colour blue somewhere due to the title of the book and blue being a colour that is closely associated with winter. I'm not entirely sure why I decided to add this colour to her cheeks but I quite liked the splash of colour that it added to a simple black and white illustration. 
I tried to add blue circles behind the text to make it stand out bit more from the white background but decided against this as it looked quite messy. 

Front


Back

For this development I got rid of the blue circles that I;d used to frame the text and decided to give the white space at the top a light blue wash with watercolour. Although I quite liked this and thought that it looked cleaner than the circles, I thought it looked quite odd combined with the textured black background. 

Front
Back

My final development focused more on how I could make this images show a positive side to S.A.D aswell. I decided to explore the idea of adding another character onto the back of the book. The character on the back would have their eyes open looking upwards as a sign of positivity and 'opening their eyes' to dealing with S.A.D. In a sense the character represents the reader. They may feel very low and alone when they first start reading the book but hopefully afterwards they will feel more positive and have a brighter outlook on coping and managing their S.A.D.

Front

Back
This final development was the one that I decided to go with for my book cover design as I think it communicates my concept clearly and effectively as well as looking the best out of my other developments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment