Friday 16 February 2018

Tote Bags

This past weekend I went to a drop in session in the printroom to give screenprinting on fabric a go. I'd ordered some tote bags way before christmas but hadn't really had the time to utilise them with the COP deadline looming. Now that's out of the way, I can finally get back to pushing my practice that little bit further.

After generating imagery from one of the LP Cover's I'd redesigned, I decided to use two of the big cat illustrations I'd been doing to screenprint onto the tote bags. The process was fairly easy to pick up, with it not differing too much from paper screenprinting and the day spent printing was all in all quite successful. I decided to print one of the designs in black (which I think works a lot better) and another design in a baby pink colour (maybe not the best idea, doesn't seem to stand out very much against the cotton). 



It was really beneficial for me to create something away from a screen and that existed on more than just paper. I've love illustrated products and regularly entertain the idea of different products I could make but have been a little worried that it'll come across as me being kind of cliché in a way. Anyhow, the satisfaction of seeing my work on an actual thing has given me a bit of a push to try out some more things like this in preperation for Print Stuff in April, and also for my own personal experience/enjoyment. I will be hoping to weave applied illustration into my practice a little more and look forward to exploring it more fully throughout the rest of 603. 

No comments:

Post a Comment