Wednesday 23 May 2018

Cryptid Wall Hangings

For my last big 603 brief, I've decided to make wall hangings based aorund North American Cryptids. I've always had an interesting in things that are a little unusual or mystical, and initially was going to base this project around folklore/mythology, before finding the sub-category of cryptids and realising this fit my interests and the direction of this project more.

Cryptid: An animal whose existence or survival is disputed ur unsubstantiated, such as the yeti

Selected North American Cryptids: 
- Chupacabra
- Loogaroo
- Jackalope
- Jersey Devil
- Wendigo
- Sasquatch
- Madremonte
- Mothman
- Wampus Cat

From this list, I will further research some of the cryptids and start deciding which ones i'd like to follow through with and create imagery for. The plan is to have three fabric hangings, illustrating three different cryptids for the end of year show. I feel that wall hangings would be the best medium for this kind of project as histoircally, tapestries and wall hangings have been used to tell stories and give wordless narrative to events, legends, and folklore across the world. To align with this, I'll be ensuring that my final pieces contain specific visual elements of the stories that surround the cryptid creatures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment